Saturday 26 January 2013

Day 26 - London Meander


26th January 2013

Gemma is a friend from secondary school, a lovely SJFer. I don't remember exactly first meeting her, but it was from about year 10 that we were good friends, and luckily for me that's lasted until at least today. She still seemed pretty happy to see me, so that's a good sign.

A few times since I moved to London and she to Orpington we've met up for some coffee, cake, and chat. Our regular haunt was a small park in Soho after grabbing cakes from Hummingbird Bakery. Now I love Hummingbird, and Red Velvet Whoopie Pies make my life very happy, but we thought we needed to widen our horizons somewhat. I tried researching somewhere interesting to go, but my brain never seemed to engage and it didn't quite work. We met in Piccadilly and wandered down through Leicester Square and Convent Garden.

Our first stop was La Duree, we waited momentarily in the longish queue and decided to go elsewhere and maybe come back for some Macaroons later on. Spoiler alert - we didn't.

We moved on, had a quick wander and settled on Pain Quotidien. The wait was long and the queuing system distressed me greatly, but eventually we were sat down and enjoying a Warm Belgian Waffle. Director's commentary - The joke here is that it was not warm. There were a pots of tea that were a bit on the stingy side in my opinion...you know how I love me some tea, and two small bowlfuls (yup) were not enough.

We had a further meander down to the river and along to a pub I now find myself frequenting, Doggetts on South Bank. It's nice enough, good Boar and Chorizo burger. I resisted today, but only by the narrowest of margins. A bottle of wine was shared and laughs had, before a wander back along the river and a cheeky Maccy D's brought on by the need for a wee. Serendipity? No. Not even at all.

Now I'm back home in the warm and I've had an entirely pleasant Saturday. Well done me.

Stephie

xxx

1 comment:

  1. I like reading your blog, it makes me excited for returning home. Well, you know, more so.

    ReplyDelete

Where shall I go next?