Saturday 1 June 2013

Day 139 - Uke


20th May 2013

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have been teaching myself the ukulele. I got my first one about 4 years ago, and upgraded last year after finding I needed to retune almost constantly. The little pink one will have a special place in my heart, but I will not miss playing it at all. My uke now makes a sound that is so much more beautiful. I fell in love with it just from hearing the assistant strum it once, there was no way I was leaving the shop without it.

Now today after work I decided to pop into the same music shop to ask about my saxophone. I am currently unable to play my sax and have any real music come out of it, and not just because it's been so long since I played (though it definitely plays a part). The pads or hinges or something are worn, and don't spring back when pressed. A saxophonist friend recommended I take it into this place, which was handy as it's about 5 minutes walk from the flat. I haven't taken it in yet, I wanted to find out what they thought...they said it's incredibly busy at the moment and to wait a week or two. Watch this space.

I had other queries though. I wanted to pick up a case for the uke. I'm not one for performing in front of others, but I like to know she's protected if I decide to take her home or something. I also needed a capo.

Now this was something that has bugged me. I have come across a few songs that ask for a capo, but after some research online they seemed far more expensive than a standard bit of kit should be, in my head. I felt like I was being silly...did people really use capos on ukuleles? I asked the woman who told me that they do but not often, which is why they're expensive. They said they'd try and get one for me. Erk.

Last thing I picked up was some song books. As well as not being a performer I am also terrible at writing music, so my enjoyment of the uke is purely from the songs I can find to play. I am loving these books, it's always nice to expand my little repertoire.

So now, Tom and Lynsey, you will be pleased to know that you won't have to overhear the same songs over and over. Huzzah!

Stephie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where shall I go next?