Wednesday 9 October 2013

Niagara Falls

I managed to make it to Niagara without incident. In fact, the couple in front of me in the queue for the coach who I checked the time with turned out to be from Rainham, aka, 10 minutes away from Pogles. Natch. 

 There is not a whole lot to do in Niagara aside from the obvious. I allowed the rest of my day as a relax and set off the next morning to see the falls. The hostel says it's a 30 minute walk from the Falls, but it's more of a 30 minute walk to the first part that could conceivably be contained within the same area as the falls are. It took about 50 minutes to get to the horseshoe falls, which is fine, cause it meant that day I walked LOADS. 

I had been reliably informed that the Maid of the Mist is absolutely worth the money, and I concur. I paid my fare, got myself into a poncho and waited. A lot of people got me to take photos of them, I'm assuming because I was on my own and it's not like they were disturbing a conversation. It made it easier for me to ask them to return the favour. 

It's pretty impressive to get up close to them...though I found the name slightly misleading. To look at this photo below you would get no impression of the force of the wind and the moisture about to happen to your face. 

This is me as early as I dared take my camera out of my bag. 

First of all you're taken past the American Falls, very cool, definitely mist. Then you edge closer to the Horseshoe falls and the mist picks up a bit...then a bit more...then you're basically in a rainstorm. The wind is so rough and the water so bright that you can barely look ahead of you. I ended up turning my poncho so that I looked through the side and didn't miss the entire thing. 

 

I ambled myself back up the hostel, and could barely stop taking photos of the foliage. The colours are beyond beautiful, like nothing I've ever seen before. I love how they are either red or green...none of these, turning business. 

Later in the evening I wrapped myself up and walked back to they falls to watch them light up and catch the fireworks display. I adore fireworks, so was probably slightly over excited about these. They weren't bad...but they were going off in a way that you couldn't enjoy them and the falls at the same time. Now I imagine there are issues with spray and whatnot, but I had been looking forward to getting a photo of fireworks and falls. Disappointed. 

Back to the hostel and back to bed. My last day was spent reading and relaxing, knowing my start for Montréal the next day wads going to be an early one...

Stephie

Xxx

Posted with BlogsyPosted with Blogsy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where shall I go next?